Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Morning Meeting=Classroom Community

After Sylvia Allan's presentation about morning meetings, and their importance in building a classroom community, I walked away with a million different emotions. From her experiences I was both excited and scared to death about becoming a teacher. She told stories that made me almost cry, both for good and for bad. She also told stories that gave me goose bumps, and this was all because her classroom was a community and could rely on one another.
I always thought that school mornings were going to start with a book that had the date at the top so the students would know what page they were to be working on. That is how it has been in my field work, and that is also how it was when I was in elementary. As I choose to become a teacher I was almost excited for that time when my students would be working on that daily work sheet, and I would be able to take role and finish up a few things before the day actually begins. My thoughts have completely changed since Sylvia Allan's presentation. I knew that it was important to build relationships with my students, and to encourage everyone within the class to get along. But with this knowledge I had never really thought of how that was going to be achieved. With morning meetings that is a time for each of the students to feel validated and also build those strong ties that will hold my class together. I now see that morning meetings are more than just a sharing time. The students are able to talk and share what they know, when the time is appropriate, but this is more importantly a time where the classroom grows together. Morning meetings are so useful to discuss important announcements, and it is a time for learning, but this learning occurs in such a relaxed atmosphere that the students do not feel pressured in any way.
Building a classroom community is so important! After Sylvia's presentation I was wondering if this is the right career path for me. Some of the stories she shared made me second guess my choices, and I had to ask myself if I was ready for the responsibility of becoming a teacher. By simply having 25-35 minutes each morning I will be able to better understand what each of my students are dealing with. This time will be educational, but it will also help each student feel as if they are part of something bigger than themselves. By having a class community the students will know that they have some where to turn if they have questions. When there is a community in the classroom it allows the students to see that the classroom is a safe place, a place to take risks and not be made fun of.

I can't wait to build my class community!! This is not something that will magically happen over night, but with morning meetings my classroom can slowly learn and grow together!

1 comment:

  1. "When the classroom grows together" is a wonderful simile. I'm glad you still have confidence to move forward and become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete